Wednesday, July 05, 2006

More thoughts on Bali Batiks

As Helen has commented, highly patterned or multi-coloured bali batik fabrics can be challenging to work with. Like many large scale prints that do not "read" as a single value, batik patterns can be just too busy particularly in complex quilt designs. But wild patterns can be tamed to good effect in simple, large pieced quilts and by incorporating high contrast solids to rest the eye. As in Taranaki Solstice for example:

Some friends and I are off to the Facets contemporary textiles exhibition at Wollombi today. If photography is permitted, I hope to share some images with you later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aha. Now you know what this means don't you... that tax rebate I blogged about - all going on batiks! Is this pieced or appliqued?

July 05, 2006 9:03 am  
Blogger Madcap said...

I love this quilt! And I do just happen to have some batiks I've been puzzling over....

July 09, 2006 12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home