Sunday, October 01, 2006

Colour & Chaos

Here in Australia it is Labour Weekend which means that surf patrols have started on beaches all over the country. Surf life saving clubs are integral to Australian beach culture and safety.

At our beach, we have the Copacabana SLSC at the northern end and the MacMasters SLSC at the southern end. Flags and lifesavers caps (not to mention lashings of lycra) make for a riot of colour particularly when clubs get together for surf carnivals. Consequently, this early quilt of mine is called Copacabana Carnivale:

Unfortunately, I started quilting this quilt at a time when I was less confident with free motion quilting. Instead, I secured the layers with some diagonal stitching and selected an arc motif using the walking foot. Even though I decided that only the outside two rows would have the arcs - that is still fifty blocks. I ran out of steam at block No 8 and the quilt has languished in the cupboard ever since. I can't bear to unpick what I have done but nor do I want to continue in this mode.

My current thoughts are to combine the quilting that I have done with something more freeform...

1 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

That is a beautiful quilt and you should definitely finish it. I'm sure whatever quilting you plan to finish it with will work wonderfully.

October 02, 2006 2:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home