Sunday, June 04, 2006

London Turns It On

Today is a 23+C degree sunny day in London (gasp!) which goes some way to assauge the inundation we experienced in the North Country. We are staying at my sister Amy's place and decided to take a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich. On our way to the wharf, we crossed the Mall leading up to Buckingham Palace, and unexpectedly encountered a rehearsal for the Trooping of the Colour/ Queens Birthday celebrations coming up later in the month. The pageantry associated with the Royal family is legendary and this was certainly a spectacle:

Yesterday we visited the British Museum and I thought I would share these three photos and reintroduce a more quilty flavour to my blog. Here are some medieval tiles from Yorkshire. I love the pattern and the colours:

These a some microscopic images of ancient woods used in Egyptian mummies and tombs:

And this indistinct photo features a door sill carved as a carpet (Assyrian circa 645-640 BC). I was very struck by the texture of this carving:














Thanks to everyone who has stuck with my blog while I have been travelling. I hope to have a chance to post some more photos before we leave England. Thereafter, I expect my postings will be more regular again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday and Saturday were both blazing sunny days in the Yorkshire Dales too! Sorry you were unlucky.

June 05, 2006 5:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home