Sunday, July 09, 2006

Dreaming Their Way: Aboriginal Women Painters

In quilt blog circles lately, I've noticed some thought provoking discussions about the quality of art presented at art festivals (see Lisa's posts on 7 and 8 July for example); how art quilts are not always "good" art (see Rayna's post); and inspirational non-quilting (gasp!) blogs (see Dijanne's post).

Although I never studied art history, have no formal training in the arts, and can't draw to save myself, I do derive pleasure and inspiration from other visual mediums. For readers living on the East Coast of the United States, I draw your attention to the Dreaming Their Way: Aboriginal Women Painters exhibition which is on at the National Museum for Women in the Arts in Washington DC until 24 September and then at the Hood Museum of Art at Dartmouth College from 7 October to 10 December. As noted on the Hood Museum website:
This exhibition features intensely colorful canvases and extremely intricate paintings on bark by Australian Indigenous women painters from communities throughout the continent, highlighting the work of thirty-two artists who have made important contributions to contemporary painting. The art draws upon ancient stories—or dreamings—and symbols, as well as each artists' deep connection to the land. It is a link to ancient tradition that makes Australian Indigenous contemporary art so unique. This is the first major presentation of contemporary art by Australian Indigenous women in the United States.
In total there are 78 works by 33 artists including:
The visual impact of these works is undeniable and I'm trying to work out whether I can squeeze in a side trip to Washington DC when I am in Annapolis next week...

4 Comments:

Blogger Rayna said...

Brenda - thanks so much for the wonderful link to these women and their art. Kitty Kantilla's work especially speaks to me. Wish I could get to D.C. myself, but it doesn't look likely with my travel schedule. Sorry I won't get to see you, either.

July 10, 2006 1:06 am  
Blogger artmixter said...

Ditto...thank you for sharing the information and links to such wonderful art.

July 10, 2006 4:33 am  
Blogger Lisa Call said...

Me too :)

Thanks much for the links. The internet is the next best thing for those too far to see it in person.

July 10, 2006 12:42 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

I've had a delightful time following the artist links, these works are a joy. Thank you so much. Jen

July 11, 2006 2:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home