Wednesday, June 14, 2006

No Prizes for Guessing

what I've been doing for the past 48 hours. Quilt show stuff, quilt show stuff, quilt show stuff...but it's all been worthwhile as our awards ceremony and opening day of the Sydney Quilt Show went extremely smoothly. You can now view images of the prize winning quilts online HERE. Although more traditional style quilts seem to dominate the prize winning ranks (including the Best of Show), there are a broad cross-section of member quilts on exhibition including an interesting retrospective of contemporary quilts.

As part of my role as Exhibition Secretary, I have been reviewing quilt show statistics and was heartened to see that 99 of the 377 entries in this year's show are from first time entrants. Furthermore, we received a record number of entries in the junior quiltmaker categories. 15 year old Ben Pearce was awarded first prize in the Junior Member B category (13-18 years) and another guy took out second prize in the Junior Member A category (up to 12 years) so it's not a girls only affair.

Now that everything is set up, I'm look forward to taking some quiet time to review all of the quilts - they are even more fabulous (and, in some cases, finished!) than the entry form photos that I looked at earlier in the year . I'm also looking forward to meeting lots of quiltmakers and fellow bloggers. Already I have bumped into Dale and Rooruu but I know there are others out there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home