Sunday, August 13, 2006

Housekeeping

This week we satisfied one of our civic duties by completing the 2006 census. Among the many questions was an estimate of the number of hours per week we undertake unpaid housework. My husband is very domesticated so I get off lightly but I have been doing my own kind of housekeeping over the last couple of days.

First there was the unexpected, but very welcome, visit of friends from Ireland for lunch on Friday. I whipped up some homemade pumpkin soup and a variation of Rooruu's splendid scone recipe with extra tasty cheese. Alex and I weathered many gruelling transactions together when I was a law firm partner and it was great to catch up. It was also fun to make the acquaintance of 1 year old Finn for whom I made this quilt:


In my view, making baby or cot quilts is too often wrongly maligned and devalued. Smaller quilts are a great medium for experimenting with new techniques and mastering skills. Especially when I was lawyering full time, many of my quilts were destined for little ones. Smaller quilts are manageable projects and give you a creative buzz without being overwhelmed. We should celebrate the baby quilt accordingly.

Another housekeeping task that I have been undertaking is the preparation of Bali batik fabric sets for my forthcoming Colour Rhapsody workshops. I am offering a selection of palettes including wildberry, rainbow and ocean:



I've also been doing some frontend work on the establishment of a new website concentrating on my contemporary quilts. I expect to unveil the additional website in a week or two although my Mum is arriving from New Zealand later in the week so it's entirely possible that I might get sidetracked.

2 Comments:

Blogger rooruu said...

You have such a wonderful way with colour, Brenda! All those palettes are beautiful, rich, happy.

August 14, 2006 3:44 pm  
Blogger Shelina said...

You're right about baby quilts. I think they are great. I would make those all the time if it wasn't for all these bigger people who want ones that fit them. Your color sets are absolutely adorable.
I think it is great that they ask you how much housekeeping you do on your census. As a genealogist, I pay special attention to the census, and took a great deal of time making sure I completed it accurately and correctly. They lost it. :( They came to my house, and in order to entice me to complete it correctly, they had these absolutely incorrect madeup answers on it. I'm not sure which one or both will show up for future generations to know more about me. (They are made public after 70 years.)

August 17, 2006 5:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home