Thursday, August 10, 2006

Finishing a Quilt Without A Binding

I am currently quilting my "Unplugged" quilt top. Due to its irregular shape and design, I do not want to finish it with a binding. A query I posted on the quiltart list yielded lots of helpful responses. Here are two methods that are described online:

1) The "other" contemporary quilt artist called Brenda [H] Smith kindly sent me this link which apparently outlines the method used by Marla Hattabaugh, the handquilter who has quilted so many of Nancy Crow's quilts; and
2) Ellen Lindner has these directions posted on her website.

And look out for the forthcoming article by Kathy Loomis in Quilters Newsletter Magazine on this very subject. Kathy has generously sent me an advance copy of her article and the technique looks very nifty!


11 August PS: It was remiss of me not to mention the "escape hatch finish" of Mrs Mel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

Thank you for all the tips provided. I've added you to my blog list. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Love your Nancy Crow influence in this quilt.

Joanna

August 11, 2006 11:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home