Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Quilting Passion in Top Gear

Tomorrow is turning into something of a quilting talkfest for yours truly. In the morning, I am giving a "Quilt & Book Talk" at Woy Woy library and in the evening I am making a presentation to the Terrigal Rotary Club.

As the name suggests, the Quilt and Book Talk involves sharing a selection of my quilts together with some of my favourite quilting-related books. Apart from refreshing my notes on the quilts that I have available and updating my book list, little preparation is required. By their very presence, my audience will have demonstrated their interest in quilting and I find it easy to talk about my quilts.

By contrast, I am finding that preparation for my Rotary presentation is more arduous. I anticipate that at least some of the audience will have little or no interest or knowledge of quilting so I need to pitch my talk at a level to grab and hold their attention. My inspiration in this regard is the BBC television program Top Gear which I first saw in Yorkshire in May and is now screening on SBS in Australia. While I have only a passing interest in cars, I find the enthusiasm and passion of the Top Gear team most infectious. As noted by Sydney Morning Herald columnist Jim Schembri in his recent review:

"The primary concern of Top Gear is to make auto culture interesting to people who can't tell the difference between a diff and a distributor cap...Top Gear offers another sterling example of just how entertaining it can be for a dispassionate viewer to watch people enthuse about subjects they are passionate about."
I'll let you know how I go!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chantel said...

Top Gear is compulsory viewing in our house! I am not a car person either, but they had a hilarious segment once they called grannys doing donuts, or something like that. Basically they got these 80 year old flossies and taught them how to burn rubber! Your quilts are as much art/journey as they are warm blanket. I am sure you will find broad appeal in your audience...

August 09, 2006 11:15 am  
Blogger Shelina said...

Good luck with both your presentations. I'm sure you will do wonderfully at both. I can see how it might be intimidating to talk to people who don't already have an interest, but if you take lots of fun show and tell, I'm sure they'll be hooked in no time. Take lots of business cards!

August 11, 2006 3:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home