Friday, December 29, 2006

A Farewell Quilt

I don't know about you, but I find the rhythms of quiltmaking to be wonderfully therapeutic; a sense of wellbeing envelopes me when I am at one with my sewing machine and there are few things more satisfying than knowing that your quilt is destined for an appreciative home.

When my quilting friend Monica announced at the end of November that she was returning to America to take up her dream job at a university in Michigan, I knew that she would need a real Aussie quilt (not a UFO) instilled with plenty of good vibes to keep her warm so far away. I also knew her other quilting friends would want to contribute but the logistics were challenging as the festive season was upon us. Yet, just look at what we accomplished! At the guild meeting in early December, I surreptitiously collected signed circles and others arrived in the post. A quick rustle through my stash yielded a rainbow of background squares onto which I fused and machine blanket stitched the circles:

I found a suitably cheery border and backing fabric on sale (please excuse the crooked photo):

And Erica attended to personal delivery to a very surprised and delighted Monica today:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great gift!

December 29, 2006 11:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow what a beautiful quilt with a beautiful thought behind it!!!

December 30, 2006 9:02 am  
Blogger Faith said...

this quilt is really nice and im sure your freind will treasure this for many years to come.
I got your blog address from the patchwork and quilting magazine which Im delighted about as it has opened up a new world to me in finding out about other quilters their works and their thoughts which is wonderful.
I have tried to join the web ring but with no success. arhhhhh never mind perhaps i need a proper web page, i only have a blog webpage. Well I am currently having a webpage done so that I can display alot of my work.
Meanwhile I will keep looking on here and hope to make many more quilting and artistic freinds.
faithx

December 30, 2006 12:05 pm  
Blogger Rayna said...

Oooh - Brenda, I wish I could make something this cheery. It is wonderful! Happy New Year!!

December 30, 2006 1:00 pm  
Blogger Shelina said...

I am sure she will treassure this beautiful quilt forever. It is a great rememberance quilt.

December 31, 2006 11:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brenda,

What a lovely farewell gift for a friend moving so far away.

Judy.

December 31, 2006 3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home