Friday, March 24, 2006

In Favour of Bed Quilts

I've just been preparing the guest room for friends that are coming on the weekend and I'm afraid that there is no quilt on the guest bed. Yes there is a doona (does anyone outside Australia use this term?!) with a Ken Done cover with bright parrots. It suits the space very well and seems to cope admirably with the morning sun that streams into the room but there is no bed quilt made by me :-(

Synchronicity is away being photographed for a magazine at the moment and none of the other quilts I have to hand is quite big enough to keep two people warm on these slightly cooler autumn evenings.




Indeed, we don't even have one on my quilts on our bed as Copacabana Carnivale is waiting to be quilted. Silly me started an unforgiving petal design to go into the outer two rows - 8 blocks down, only 52 to go. Gulp - it seemed like a good idea at the time! Of course, now that I have more confidence with free motion quilting, I would do it quite differently. The thought of guiding that big heavy quilt through the machine with a walking foot is quite off-putting but neither can I bring myself to undo the quilting that has already been done. And so the quilt languishes in the cupboard while I pursue more immediately gratifying projects.




Despite all evidence to the contrary in my own home, I do relish the functionality of bed quilts as contemporary home textiles. I look forward to the day that guests will find not just one but several bed quilts when they come to visit. In the meantime, they will just have to enjoy the quilts on my walls.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool so if there is several quilts we can chosse the one we want when we come to stay! I see some fights coming on ;-)

little sis

March 25, 2006 2:08 pm  
Blogger Karoda said...

I have never completed a bed quilt...I keep thinking I need at least one.

These are very fun and inviting.

March 25, 2006 11:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home