Monday, March 27, 2006

Talk about quilts!

I've just returned from presenting a "quilt and book" seminar at my local library. 25-30 people turned up which was a very pleasing result, given the modest means of advertising the talk. And despite the library being situated in a cluster of retirement villages, the audience extended beyond the grandmother demographic . I always get excited when I see younger people taking an interest in textiles and quilting, although I suspect that the baby in attendance was more interested in using a quilt than making one.

One of the questions I am often asked is how long I have been quilting for. Usually I say "since Queens Birthday Weekend in June 2000" as I vividly recall the start of my serendipity journey in making a cot quilt for a friend's baby. However, if I am being strictly accurate, I made my "very first quilt" back in the summer of 84/85. It was a glorious seersucker affair, made from factory offcuts without recourse to books or anyone with quiltmaking experience. As you can see, it is not exactly beautiful but it provided instant warmth and a feeling of home in various student houses as I studied political science and law at university. Furthermore, 20+ years later, it is still going strong...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home