Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Balance Restored

First of all, thank you to Helen for bringing my Bloglines subscription back up to 24. Helen recently joined the Artful Quilters Web Ring and I encourage you to check out her blog and the blogs of the other "noobles".

I made a few more circles from a selection of my own hand dyed fabrics, batiks, and other hand dyes. Then I conjured up this pleasing arrangement which used most of the units:


In real life, the quilt top sits flat - honestly!

I was very happy to find a layout that fitted together since the freecut circle units are irregular sizes; different colour/value combinations and I did not plan the arrangement in advance. I currently prefer the horizontal orientation to the vertical but will decide after quilting:


The two or three circle units that I have left over will be useful for auditioning quilting motifs.

Now to clean up my studio so that it is presentable to visitors, maybe even virtual guests.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

I really like all the green. This is a great quilt -amazing that you were able to fit all the blocks together like that.

September 02, 2006 10:37 am  
Blogger Kim West said...

great quilt - i love it, the different sizes all tied together make a very pleasing and interesting quilt.

September 03, 2006 3:10 am  
Blogger flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Gorgeous Work! Such balance & rhythm!

September 03, 2006 1:12 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug and I too really like the restful quality of this quilt. Interesting to see, given the book I have just blogged about and have been sitting reading this afternoon

September 04, 2006 4:31 am  
Blogger Diane Perin said...

This is stunning. Graphic and evocative and something one can look at for a long time. Can't wait to see how it looks quilted!

September 04, 2006 5:10 am  
Blogger Jo Griffith said...

Love your quilt! You had mentioned on "Threadnest" that you didn't like the Curvemaster. I don't think I'd like it for this quilt either. Seems like it is only good if you're making the same size block every time. I'd use your pinning method for something like this as well.

A really nicely done quilt!!

September 05, 2006 4:17 am  
Blogger Brenda said...

Much as I love sewing curves, I was distinctly underwhelmed by the "Curvemaster" tool. Maybe it was the interface with my machine, maybe it was operator malfunction, but it just wasn't very effective for me. These days I use my regular 1/4in foot, NO pins and the occasional judicious intervention of a stiletto or the point of my quick unpick.

September 05, 2006 11:35 am  
Blogger Micki said...

You've managed to create a wonderful balance with all those greens. A great piece.

September 05, 2006 2:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home