Saturday, October 28, 2006

New Zealand Quilting Symposium

This week Alison Schwabe and I had an on and off- blog conversation about improvisational curved piecing. Although Alison lives in Uruguay, through her blog I feel like I know her. It helps too that I attended a slide presentation that she made at the Quilting Symposium in Christchurch, New Zealand 2003.

The symposium was very influential on on my quilting development. In addition to five consecutive days of workshops, I attended every lecture and exhibition that was available including inspirational talks by Alison, Rosalie Dace, Dottie Moore, Charlotte Yde and Judy Dales. There were also the obligatory trips to the marketplace. I still have these Melody Johnson classics:

I wasn't familiar with Mrs Mel or her blog but I know better now! The next National Quilt Symposium will be in Palmerston North in early 2007. I won't be able to make it but I'm sure everyone who attends will have a wonderful time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica Spinks said...

Brenda,
You may be interested in a project that Alison made for DUQ in issue 78. I don't know if you saw it at the time (November 2004), but it includes her free-form curved cutting and piecing technique, as well as an excellent dscription of making a facing for finishing off the quilt's edges.

October 29, 2006 10:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy,

Brenda, many thnaks for the links I whiled awat sometime looking at lovely quilt.

October 29, 2006 3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home