Saturday, October 21, 2006

Purple Haze

Driving through Sydney today on my way to the guild annual general meeting, I could not help but notice all the jacaranda trees that have come into bloom.

I understand that for Australian students, the purple haze of jacaranda flowers is synonymous with exam time but (having grown up in New Zealand) I have no such unpleasant associations. I love the patches of purple throughout urban Australia at this time of year. Indeed, jacarandas are central to my first assessment piece I completed for my online City & Guilds course with Linda Kemshall. Here is Sydney Jacaranda Harbour:

And a close up shot of the jacaranda-inspired quilting motif:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dianne said...

Gorgeous color, Brenda, and a gorgeous quilt. Looking forward to seeing some jacarandas for myself again, next week!

October 21, 2006 11:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the color. I am hoping to start a C&G course from the Kemshalls this January/February. I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

October 22, 2006 4:29 am  
Blogger rooruu said...

Not sure if this is how it began, but there is an old jacaranda in the (beautiful old gothic sandstone) quadrangle at Sydney Uni - and its flowering signified exams.

October 22, 2006 7:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like you, I love the jacarandas - I think they are a colour not of our past?
Dale

October 31, 2006 1:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home