Friday, October 13, 2006

The Bag Lady

I am slowly making my way through the spectrum of my batik scraps. Today's combination draws its inspiration from the paua (abalone) shell from New Zealand:

Paua is also the inspiration for a fabric range put out by New Zealand textile house Nutex.

As I mentioned to Helen foundation piecing in this way is NOT a speedy process. First you have to join all your scraps together. Then you make the strips. Then you audition them on your foundation; sew them; flip them and iron them before starting the process all over again. But I am having such fun with the colour play.

Which is more than I can say about my ongoing Blockbutler dramas. I regret to report that my 3 x 3 foot replacement blockbutler design wall (a kind of sticky, expensive pellon) simply will not stay up on the wall. My main design wall is a 6 x 6 foot blockbutler which has served me very well so the problems I have experienced with its smaller sibling are disappointing and tedious. At this rate, I can forsee that the replacement blockbutler will end up as wadding for some more bags or something similar.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda, You are very inspirational to me.. thank you.
Regarding the Personal Blog Banner.
I have created the one I want.. but am having difficulty inserting it. Do you need to have your blog set to a non template type.
I hope you realise what a monster you have created here.
sheila C

October 14, 2006 1:04 am  
Blogger Erica Spinks said...

These are 'my' colours Brenda - love the combination.
Erica

October 14, 2006 8:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have experienced my 3x3 blockbutler "unsticking". I ending up using painters tape placed randomly around the edges. I like being able to put work in progress on it...but...I find that it ravels my fabric seams and then I have to try and pick the threads off....yada,yada! I do love this purse also!

October 15, 2006 2:05 pm  
Blogger Ali Honey said...

Love your bag. You have captured the paua alright. I wonder if you have seen the paua fabric available in NZ - An all over swirling paua design available in about 3 colourways.( blue, aqua and mauve I think )

October 15, 2006 6:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home