Friday, October 27, 2006

Preparing for the Big Trip

OK, I'm back in blog land. My online tax return has been duly completed, triple-checked and dispatched and new personal/business accounting systems have been set up to streamline the process for future years. All part of the transition from my corporate lawyering life.

Next week I am off to Canberra to give a presentation to Canberra Quilters and to do some teaching. Whereas previous trips to the national capital have been dominated by business meetings with lawyers, lobbyists and bureaucrats, this time my focus will be on galleries and quilt shops. I am looking forward to checking out The Crafted Object exhibition at the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery generally.

Of course, first of all I have to get to Canberra. I'll be undertaking the 4+ hour drive by myself which means I get to choose the driving music. While Shelina chose loud Japanese music for her road trip to Fort Collins Colorado, I favour 80s pub rock. Just have to remember to keep my eye on the speedo...

But before I even get into the car, I have to make sure that I have all my quilts, my speaking notes and my teaching materials. A great deal of advance preparation is required for teaching. I can understand how this is offputting for some people but so far I am enjoying all aspects of teaching. If you are considering teaching, then you may be interested in Robin's recent musings - To Teach or Not to Teach - that is the question.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck with the teaching, Brenda. I am sure you will enjoy it. Your orderly mind, and creative spirit is greatly admired by humble me. sheila C

October 27, 2006 8:13 pm  
Blogger Shelina said...

Oh Brenda, you had me laughing out loud about my choice in music. Listening to unfamiliar, loud, jarring music was definitely not my choice. I would have picked something much softer and much more familiar so it would sooth my stress of driving on unfamiliar roads rather than add to it.

November 01, 2006 4:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home