Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A matter of space

Just because I don't have any new photos to display doesn't mean that I am not quilting. On the contrary, I have all sorts of Christmas surprise projects on the go. Fortunately, most of the sewing projects are gifts as I am running out of places to store my quilts - open any cupboard or look under any bed in this house and you will find a bundle of carefully folded quilts. (Incidentally, in a recent issue of Quilters Newsletter Magazine, there is a super article showing how to fold your quilt on the bias so as to avoid ingrained creases.)

I love the functionality of bed quilts but storing on the guest bed is not an option as it the guest bedroom receives generous morning sun. Similarly, most walls in the house receive direct or indirect sun. My prize-winning "Making Waves" quilt resides on a prime wall in our main living area:

It's fading a little but I'm resigned to this. After all, I need to show that there is a quilter in the house!

My friend Monica is moving from Sydney to Allendale, Michigan (any readers in that part of the world?) and she is grappling with a different kind of quilting/space dilemma. She's reluctant to pack her quilts all together in one container lest some disaster occur in transit. She is squashing some in her suitcase; others will go into a container and she has left me her Sydney Quilt Show 2007 entry to be returned to her by post in due course.

How do you cope with storing but enjoying your quilts?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Living in Wellington means there is a quilt, sometimes two, on every bed. There are 3 people (and 1 cat) each with their own quilt on their knees while I write.Special ones are rolled around cardboard tubes and hiding in wardrobes. I guess there are some benefits to this awful weather!

December 05, 2006 7:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine live under a tall-ish bed rolled around the foam "worms" that kids use in the pool. When i remember to, I swap out simmilarly sized quilts that live on a few walls around the house.

December 05, 2006 7:19 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well there are only a year's worth so far in this house becuase I am a new quilter. Two reside folded on a footstool in the lounge readly for sofa snuggling (you need a choice, right?) the others are folded in the same spare bedroom cupbaord I store my fabrics. Including the kids quilts I made part for learning on part for Project Linus which I haven't quite got around to giving away yet... I guess that's got to be my New Year's resolution!

December 05, 2006 8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, I don't have the sunlight issue.... I have bookcases and have them folded on top & with in it. I have a glass fronted cabinet with quilts folded with it. I have quilt hanging on walls. & I have quilts draped over furniture.

December 06, 2006 2:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am not in Allendale, but I'm within a couple of hours....

teri

December 06, 2006 5:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My quilts are in various "spots"! Layered on Guest beds,fabric cupboards,draped on rocking chairs,sofa,wall quilt hangers,(one even in a spare bathroom!)I refold them every so often..no real time line.

December 06, 2006 2:36 pm  
Blogger Shelina said...

I haven't worried about sunlight on my quilts. They are made for enjoying. I have them hung up on the walls, folded on the quilt rack, thrown over the couch, or over the bed. Some are folded in the cabinet, since they haven't gotten to that complete stage. I have some folded on the dresser, because we have much more bedding than we can use.

December 08, 2006 6:53 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brenda, I have very little space and living in Hawaii requires few quilts on the bed. SO, this year for Christmas I am giving three of my prized quilts to my family - one to my mom, one to my dad, and one to my mother-in-law. Their joy in receiving them (they've already expressed interest in a particular quilt, but don't know they are getting them) will be my joy. BTW, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the blog banner tutorial. I have a new one thanks to you!

December 08, 2006 12:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home