Thursday, March 30, 2006

Colour Inspiration

All will be quiet on the blog front for a short while. I am off to the city today for guild committee business and tomorrow I go on to "Quilt Camp" in the bucolic surrounds of the Upper Hawkesbury. After several years of trying, I have at last been allocated a workshop with award winning Australian quiltmaker Gloria Loughman. As homework for our "Colour is Magic" workshop, we were asked to bring along an image, card etc with a colour scheme that we love. When I went to my magazine stash and saw this cover from Cuisine (my sisters gave me and David a yummy subscription last year) , I figured I was off to a promising start:



And, sure enough, I came across an article on saffron with some beautiful palettes:








I love the saturated purples, golds and oranges but we need to bring medium and light value fabrics too. So here is a small selection of hand dyed fabrics (some of them even my own!) that I am taking with me:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What gorgeous colors and inspiration! I saw Gloria's work (and the work of other Australian quilters) at the Pacific International Quilt Festival in California last fall. I even have a picture of a stunning quilt from Australia in the show on my blog (it's like looking up through a tree). I was so impressed! Have a great time at your workshop - can't wait to see your results! Aloha!

March 30, 2006 9:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fabrics are lovely. Have a great time with Gloria. I hope to do a workshop with her one day.
Delia

March 31, 2006 10:54 am  
Blogger Rayna said...

yum. Purple, saffron, paprika. What could be more gorgeous?

April 06, 2006 2:00 pm  
Blogger Brenda said...

Paprika - yes that's precisely the colour. I'm a quarter Hungarian - from my mother's father - so it's entirely fitting that I should have a little to spice up my quilts.

April 06, 2006 8:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home