Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A Peek in My Studio

In response to popular demand, I give you a peek into my studio - the good, the bad and the ugly. But first an exterior view, looking up from the beach - my studio is the big glass window in the top left hand corner (David's workshop is underneath):

Here is the entrance from the driveway. David made me a beautiful sign with my logo (and killed his printer in the process) but the serendipity raindow has faded:

David also made the bookshelves. Alas, they are overflowing with magazines that had to be relocated following the purchase of my new colour laser printer (see below). The TV gets listened to more than watched but at least I can operate the remote control (unlike the set-up in the "media room" in the main house.) The artwork is a painting by my yougest sister Delia when she was six year's old:

Continuing clockwise, here is the start of the view. In the bottom centre, you will see my machine nestled into a Sew-Ezi table which I bought as a portable sewing area for classes but is proving to be a much loved permanent fixture:

And the view continues:

and continues:

The design wall is a Blockbutler which works pretty well for unsewn blocks but requires pins for heavier quilt tops. The pile in the corner is a mixture of documents, overflowing stash and equipment:

Because, needless to say, this cupboard was never going to be big enough:

Here is my cutting surface and computer desk. I used to have another Blockbutler above the desk but it refused to re-adhere to the wall one time after I took it to a workshop one day (grr!). Fortunately, the alcove is big enough to house my new colour laser printer that I use to self-publish my patterns, workshop notes, flyers:

So, it is not an enormous area but it is my own dedicated creative space and I love being here.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh come on - you tidyed up didn't you?! Its a stunning view - no wonder there is so much nature and brightness influence in your qulits. One question - where do you beaste the bigger quilts?

September 06, 2006 4:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Try again - it's early in the am here and I'm rushng off to Manchester. Where do you baste quilts? Although with some of my efforts 'beaste' is the right word for them!

September 06, 2006 4:46 pm  
Blogger Nic Bridges said...

Gorgeous studio!! And what an amazing view - you could hardly be anything but creative in this room!!!

September 06, 2006 6:13 pm  
Blogger Karoda said...

with that view i don't think i'd get much accomplished...its so beautiful!

September 07, 2006 1:24 pm  
Blogger Brenda said...

In response to Helen, I baste my larger quilts on the dining room floor. You can see pictures under "Photo Album" in the "Casa da Praia" link on my side bar...

September 08, 2006 5:45 pm  
Blogger Diane Perin said...

OOh, I love seeing artists' studios. Thanks for sharing yours. It's so tidy! And how DO you get work done with that lovely view?

September 09, 2006 1:19 am  
Blogger kathy said...

I'd need blinders on to get anything done in this space...beautiful!

September 09, 2006 9:47 pm  
Blogger Amy & Paul said...

I've been to Brenda's studio before - I don't think it was ever that tidy (although that was perhaps because I was making a mess too!)

September 12, 2006 4:25 am  
Blogger Fabricfaire said...

Thanks for sharing your "inner sanctum". I am relaxed just viewing your view!!

September 14, 2006 12:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home