Monday, September 04, 2006

Powerless

A high voltage feeder to our area went down this morning which meant that we were without electricity for almost three hours. Fortunately I had already checked e-mails and blog updates but any other computer activity was out of the question, as was vacuuming, sewing or ironing fabric. In this lull, I took the opportunity to tackle the pile of papers that had mounted up at the end of the counter in my studio. An indicative sample of its contents included:
  • recipe clippings from magazines and newspapers and a yummy biscotti recipe from my quilting buddy Kay Haerland which I have since posted on Our Family Favourites;
  • two letters from the NSW Pap Test Register, each with a different reference number - a hangover from moving house two years ago. I finally got around to contacting the Register to let them know that I am one and the same person and they should merge their records accordingly;
  • offers of you-beaut deals from various sewing machine dealers and manufacturers - no thanks, a new sewing machine is not in the budget. So why was I keeping the brochures?!;
  • entry forms and details for miscellaneous challenges and exhibitions prompting renewed resolutions of spending more time actually sewing (when the power comes back on);
  • sudoku puzzles tantalisingly close to completion - duly filed in the bin; and
  • a Gardening Australia Factsheet with Jerry's recipe for a weed free lawn - a concoction that apparently is best applied in mid-winter. Oh well, maybe next year. In the meantime, I daresay the dandelions will assert their presence in our backyard yet again.
Which reminds me of a poem by kiwi Sam Hunt, What dandelions think:
It's still only early,
just three o'clock a hot
December day
and the dandelions
already asleep, you say.

Not surprising, I suggest.
If you'd been throwing
a yellow out like that
since early this morning
you'd need an early night.

Because that what
dandelions do: think yellow. Yellow.
Nothing else. Lose it,
they run the risk of turning
blue, say; God help me, pink.

Yellow is what dandelions think.
Thanks to Robin of Beadlust for her thought-provoking blog including a great post on YELLOW. Robin attracts real dialogue in her comments sections. See what you think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

I've been trying to whittle down my paper stack too. It grows much faster than I can discard it. I think taking care of paper is almost a full time task in this household!

September 05, 2006 7:07 am  
Blogger Fabricfaire said...

Ah, what would we do w/out those *#% stacks!

September 14, 2006 12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home