Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Beyond Quilts

I firmly believe that, as quiltmakers, we should look beyond our own medium to appreciate the works of other artists. Nevertheless, I find myself drawn to works that have a quilt-like quality. For example, as I read the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, this photo accompanying this article about Aboriginal artist Bronwyn Bancroft instantly caught my attention:



Isn't the painting to the right amazing? The colour and scale reminds me of some of Carol Taylor's quilts - something to aspire to!

PS: For another example of a non-textile work with a quilt-like quality see Elle's
blogpost about glass artist Robert Weiner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karoda said...

Thanks for introducing me to this painter. And I agree, her works do have quilterly quality about them.

April 07, 2006 12:48 am  
Blogger Elle said...

Yes! The piece to the right does look like Carol Taylor's.

April 09, 2006 12:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home