Thursday, April 06, 2006

A breeze of serendipity?

It was unseasonably warm yesterday so I had all the windows in my studio wide open. Then I rushed off to my final French class only to arrive home to find my blocks had fallen all over the floor. I use blockbutler for my design wall. Generally it copes pretty well but it was no match for the evening breeze. I guess I could have recreated the layout from my earlier photographs but I thought I would try something different. First I separated the blocks into colour sets:


Then I decided to put the blues and purples to one side and concentrate on the analogous blush, oranges, yellows, mustard and greens. Because the blocks are irregular sizes, a certain number of set-in seams will be inevitable. Nevertheless, I aim to have some straight line axes (just what is the plural of axis?!) in the quilt:

And this is where I got to:

I don't like the pasty blush blocks so they will be the first to go...and maybe I will put the blues and purples back into the mix...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just found your blog, good reading and beautiful quilts, right down to your very first! My DD walked into the room just as I was looking at your first quilt and said it was so nice and would fit on her bed....lol.

Wishing you lots of creative energy.

April 06, 2006 7:49 pm  
Blogger Dale Anne Potter said...

Those are LOVELY bright blocks!
Are those black lines appliqued on or are the blocks pieced?
GREAT JOB!

April 07, 2006 3:09 am  
Blogger Brenda said...

Thanks Dale Anne. I'm on a piecing kick at the moment, so the black lines are pieced rather than appliqued.

April 07, 2006 6:13 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your new quilt, Brenda. I do agree with you, though. The blues in the previous "sample" seem to add more depth. Your fabrics are gorgeous...did you hand dye them yourself? Aloha!

April 08, 2006 4:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home