Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Colourful history

As I browsed through Dijanne Cevaal's blog, Musings of a Textile Itinerant, the other day I was very excited to see that she is holding a two day workshop in Salleles d'Aude, Languedoc, France at the same time as David and I will be in the French Pyrenees for our home exchange. (Like me, Dijanne was once a lawyer, and her move into textiles has always been inspirational for me.)

For various reasons, not the least that it will be my 40th birthday and Amy and Paul (my sister and her husband who live in London) will be descending on Axat to help me celebrate, I won't be able to make the workshop. However, Dijanne has highlighted the region's woad dyeing history so I am going to try to explore this further. If you have any interest in the history of colour, then I highly recommend this book:



PS: I understand Victoria Finlay is about to launch another travel/history book called, depending on where you live, Jewels: A Secret History or Buried Treasure: Travels through the Jewel Box.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Brenda, This is the second blog I've seen mention of this book on color. I've ordered it from our library - can't wait. Aloha!

April 12, 2006 9:13 am  
Blogger Diane Perin said...

I've been reading this lately, and it's very enjoyable, isn't it? Makes you see and appreciate color in a very basic way.

April 13, 2006 1:38 am  
Blogger rooruu said...

It's a wonderful book on colour. The new one is called "Buried Treasure: travels through the jewellery box". I saw it in a bookshop the other day @$35 (paperback), so it's around.

April 14, 2006 10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home