Saturday, April 08, 2006

Anne: Serger Extraordinaire

After a busy week, including a full day teaching my "Making Waves" workshop yesterday, I can't say that I was hugely motivated to make the 90+ minute drive to Newcastle today for the Quilters' Guild "away" meeting hosted by the Novocastrian Quilters. However, the trip was well worth the effort especially to hear the guest speaker - Anne Van der Kley. Some of you may already know of Anne as she was at Houston in 2005 and at the Australasian Quilt Convention earlier this year. Me? I only knew that she created wondrous art works using her serger/overlocker but little prepared me for the delight of seeing these creations in real life. Here are just a few examples:









If, like me, you associate overlockers with the "knitwit" craze of the 1980s (my mother made me a great tracksuit and ski suits for our trip to the snow), then Anne's work is sure to turn these preconceptions upside down. I'm not rushing out to buy an overlocker but I do have a new appreciation of the potential of these machines.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The work of Anne Van der Kley is very beautiful, I love the boat ! Your blog is very interesting, I will come again to visit it !

April 10, 2006 8:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home