Saturday, April 08, 2006

Now We're Getting Somewhere...

So I put the blues and purples back in...I decided that I really did need the darker values to keep things interesting. Then I carefully managed to arrange the blocks to have a straight edge along the top of the quilt and was well on the way to squaring up the other sides. But then I thought it looked too contained. So I am thinking that I might go for some rough, stepped edges - nothing too exaggerated as it will present hanging problems. Maybe reverting to a squarer shape. Mmm...not that I will be making any more progress today as I am off to Newcastle for the Quilters' Guild "away" meeting. A quilter's life is a busy one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Betsy True said...

If you want to keep the top edge irregular, could you incorporpate some timtex or template plastic in the backing: Perhaps with a pocket?

April 08, 2006 9:38 pm  
Blogger Brenda said...

Rats! and here I was congratulating myself on my restraint at not buying anything in the quilt shop today when there were a pile of timtex rolls just begging to be bought! Fortunately I have a friend close by that might be willing to "lend" me some. Thanks for the tip!

April 08, 2006 9:52 pm  
Blogger Diane Perin said...

I love this, Brenda. And I think that irregular top edge might stand up on its own...it doesn't protrude too far off of the straightest line across the top, where a sleeve would hang. I did one a while back, just as I normally would sew and face the back, then put a straight horizontal hanging sleeve across the back as usual too. It hangs flat and the irregular shape of the top doesn't droop at all.

April 10, 2006 3:00 am  
Blogger Alison Schwabe said...

Brenda, the instructions to the solution referred to by Betsy can be found most recently in an article I wrote published by DUQ in Nov 2004, also a chapter on irregular shaped quilts in the Guild's publication "Workshops From The Guild" 1997. You will have easy access to either of those. From the pic on your blog you should be able to get a good result - depends how big you finally make those gaps down the side, but at least one block indented should be no problem. I am not familiar with timtex, but absolutely sewar by heavier guage template plastic. Let us know how you get on?

April 10, 2006 9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home